Learn Everything About Dubai October Birth Flowers
Know All About October Birth Flowers Dubai
The concept of birth flowers has been around for quite some time. For those who believe in birth flowers, having the same in their home gives them a sense of contentment.
Marigold and Cosmos are the birth flowers of October. Both flowers are easy to grow and make a great addition to your garden. While marigolds are known for their bright colours and strong odour, Cosmos stands for peace and innocence.
Let us have a look at both the birth flowers in Dubai.
Marigolds are natives of both South and North America. They have a bright orange colour and are relatively easy to grow. Though orange is the most popular colour of marigold, it is also available in other shades like yellow and red. This depends on the type of flower, i.e. French, African and Signet.
Marigolds have been cultivated in Mexico for more than 2000 years. They are commonly used for making garlands, floral arches and wreaths. In Asia, especially India, Marigolds are used for decorating wedding venues.
Facts about marigold
- Marigold is the short form of Mary’s gold. It is believed to be named after Virgin Mary.
- Marigold can grow from 6 to 48 inches in height depending on the type of bloom.
- Marigolds can tolerate hot and humid conditions. Thus, it grows well in Dubai.
- In some cultures, marigolds' orange and yellow shades represent beauty and warmth. It is also linked to prosperity and wealth.
- Marigolds were used by the Greeks and Romans for medicinal purposes, as a dye for fabrics and to create cosmetics.
- Marigolds are believed to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Planting marigolds in the garden helps keep pesky creatures away.
Cosmos are native to Mexico and are annual flowers. During the 16th century, they were brought from Mexico to Spain and gradually introduced to England in the 18th century. It was during the mid-19th century that the plant started growing in the US.
Cosmos bloom in various colours like red, yellow, orange and pink. These daisy-like flowers grow at the tip of thin stems that can grow up to 6 feet tall. The petals have a yellow centre that adds to their beauty. Cosmos belong to the daisy family and make a great addition to flower gardens. They are also commonly found on the roadsides.
Facts about cosmos
- The word cosmos comes from the Greek word “Kosmos” meaning harmony and order in the universe.
- Each colour of the cosmos has its own meaning. While red cosmos stands for passion, pink stands for mother’s love. The white cosmos is a sign of devotion.
- Cosmos are seasonal plants that do not require much care and maintenance. They bloom well during the spring season.
- You can grow cosmos directly from the seed. You can plant them in a container and replant the sapling later or directly plant them in the garden bed.
- Cosmos have the power to repel unwanted insects from the garden.
- Cosmos plant has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. As such, they are used to treat skin conditions and fight infection.
- Cosmos are called basket flowers in some parts of the world as the yellow centre, and the petals surrounding it resemble some container.
- Cosmos is also known by other names like spider daisies, soccer mums and pompoms.
Cosmos and marigolds are not commonly used in flower bouquets. Since marigolds are part of the decor, you can place them on the side table or make beautiful floral carpets out of them. Cosmos are mostly used as garden plants due to their similarity with daisies. Thus, if you are particular about having October flowers in your home, you can plant them in your garden.