There are two thoughts that cross your mind when you think of a birthday. One is the birthday gift and the other birthday cards. In fact, both birthday and birthday cards go hand in hand that it is difficult to imagine gifting a present for a birthday without a card.
Tradition of Sending Birthday Cards
The custom of sending greeting card on special occasion can be traced back to the ancient Chinese who used to exchange good wishes during their Chinese New Year. The Egyptians also used papyrus to convey messages among each other.
In the 15th century, handmade cards became popular in the Europe for exchanging wishes on special days. Around 1800’s, with the advent of printing, printed cards became more popular. Printed cards not only resulted in mass production of cards but also helped in reducing the price of cards. The development in the field of post and telegram also resulted in an increased demand for cards.
Thus, various types of cards like Christmas card, New year card, birthday card and valentine’s day card were printed in due course.
Significance of Sending Birthday Cards
The tradition of sending birthday greeting cards is dwindling in today’s fast paced world. People hardly have time to spend purchasing and sending birthday cards even if it is for their loved ones. But spending special wishes through birthday cards has its own significance.
- Sending birthday cards show that someone really thinks about you.
- By sending a card, you are sending an emotional piece of yourself to someone else. This shows how much you care for others.
- Sending cards help in affirming your relationship with the other person. It shows your affection to the recipient of the card.
- Cards, especially handmade cards, are unique and one of a kind which can leave a lasting impression in the mind of the recipient.
- Cards are a treasure which lasts for a life-time.
- Making birthday card is the best way to make use of your creative skill. It also shows the time and effort that you have spent in designing and making a new card.
- Unlike flowers or cakes, cards are always a keepsake. Whenever the recipient sees the card, he/she is sure to remember you with love and affection.
Types of Birthday Cards
Irrespective of nationality and culture, birthday cards are being sent all over the world. There are different types of birthday card available to suit different budget types
- Simple printed birthday card: This type of cards come with simple floral designs with the phrase “Happy Birthday” written on it. This type of card would make an ideal gift for any person irrespective of the gender and age.
- Handmade cards: These are cards that are made by hands and thus the design will be simple. This type of cards can be gifted to anyone and carries a special warmth and affection as it is made by hand.
- 3D painted birthday cards: These are happy birthday card with painting done in 3D design. Thus, the objects in the card appears to pop-out, when in reality it is just a painting. This type of card would be best suited for both young and old.
- 3D Pop-up birthday card: These are cards in which 3D designs pop-up when the card is opened. These cards are mainly designed using laser cutting to get the perfect finish.
- Age birthday cards: These are cards with the age printed on it like 1, 10, 20 etc. This type of card can be gifted when the person celebrates that particular birthday.
- Personalized card: These are cards with some designs printed outside the card whereas the inner page will be blank. You can write down your personal message in such cards.
All the above cards can either be purchased from card shops or you can get personalized birthday cards made from specialized stores.
Funny Birthday Cards
Though birthday cards are meant to wish the other person in the most loving and caring manner, it need not be so in all cases. Sometimes funny birthday cards are also being sent by friends and close acquaintance to provide a jovial mood to the birthday.
What to Write in a Funny Birthday Card?
If you wish to gift a more playful and whimsical birthday card, here are few interesting messages that you can include
- Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that people who have the most live the longest.
- You are growing old, but I know there is a younger person within you, who wonders… What the hell happened?
- Relax, you are not looking any older
- Another year has gone, but that doesn’t mean you’ve become wiser.
- The nature has kept this day special because you are permitted to eat as much cake as you can.
- Hey, can you blow out all these candles by yourself or should I call our local fire department to help you in this regard.
- Hey, no matter how old have you become today, just make sure that you don’t forget that where you kept the car keys. Good luck!
- As you are getting older, you are becoming wiser. You know no wise man ever wishes to be young again.
- You must enjoy the cake, because you won’t get a second chance to enjoy that special item as you are under diet.
- A true friend always remembers your birth date not the how old you are becoming. But believe me, I can remember both of them. I feel so special for this.
In today’s hi-tech age when all tasks are done electronically, getting a handwritten card for your birthday brings a special feel. It shows that someone remembered your special day and spent their precious time and money to bring a smile on your face.
May this birthday be filled with a lot of fun, laughter and enjoyment.