Peonies are large, beautiful flowers that belong to the Paeoniaceae family. Originally belonging to Asia, Europe, and North America, they are big and fluffy flowers and comes with a sweet fragrance.
Peonies are available in a range of colors like pink, red, yellow and white peony. The peony season lasts from late spring and early summer. Once bloomed, the flowers will last for 7-10 days. Peonies are sold as cut flowers, and they form an integral part of flower bouquet.
Types of Peonies
There are different peony varieties depending on their size, color, and texture. Here are a few interesting types of peonies that you can use for bouquet or flower arrangements.
- Tree Peonies: Tree peonies are native to China and are large in size. They are pink or red in color with deep green foliage in summer. These types of peonies have woody stems, and they grow to the height of your eye-level.
- Herbaceous Peonies: Herbaceous peonies are native to Asia and Europe. These are low maintenance plants that generally bloom in May and June. They are mostly available in different shades of pink.
The peculiarity of Herbaceous peonies is that they can thrive in the same area for almost 50 years. During winter the stems die and reemerge from the same spot in spring. There are more than 30 species of herbaceous peonies of which Paeonia Lactiflora (bowl of beauty), which is native to China, is the most popular variety.
- Intersectional peonies: Intersectional peonies are hybrid varieties, which is a cross between tree peonies and herbaceous peonies. Thus, they have sturdy and giant flowers with colors in yellow, purple, and white. Just like herbaceous peonies, the intersectional peonies also die down to the ground during winter.
- Reine Hortense peonies: Pink in color, the Reine Hortense Peonies are native to France. They resemble a rose flower and comes with strong, red stems. They have clovy fragrance and grows to a size of 100-150 mm. Because of its resemblance to rose, these flowers Dubai are widely used in a bouquet of roses.
- Peony Joker: These are pink colored bushy peonies with a dark pink color on the edges and pale pink inside the petal. Once the flower matures, the pale pink color changes to white. This type of peonies grows during late spring and early summer and requires a moderate amount of water.
Facts About Peonies
- The name Peony is derived from a character in Greek mythology – Paeon.
- Peonies are native to Asia, Europe, and the Western side of North America.
- Peonies can survive for almost 100 years in the same spot provided all the growing conditions are met.
- Peonies need a cold climate to grow. This is the reason why they bloom during spring.
- Peonies are available in almost all colors except black and blue.
- Peonies can last for 7-10 days. Thus, they are widely used as wedding flowers. They are also considered a symbol of a happy marriage and good fortune.
- Peonies are one of the best smelling flowers, and the light pink peonies have sweet fragrance than darker ones.
- Ants play an important role in the blooming of the peonies. Ants like the nectar that grows inside the peony and thus helps the buds to open when they enter the plant.
- Peonies are associated with the 12th wedding anniversary.
- Most parts of the peony plant like seeds, roots, and flowers are used as medicine in Eastern countries, especially China.
- Peonies bloom in different months depending on its species. Thus, if you want a flower bed throughout the year, then you should mix different species of peonies.
How to Take Care of Peonies?
Peonies usually take time to grow and bloom. But since they are low maintenance plant, they do not require any special care for their survival.
- Watering: You should water peonies lightly two times a week. The water should reach only 4-6 inches from the topsoil. Too much water can result in rotting of roots and eventually the death of the plant. Similarly, while watering, you should make sure that the leaves are dry. Wet leaves are more prone to fungal infection and other diseases.
- Soil: Peonies should be planted in well-drained soil so that there is no stagnation of water. Mulching can be done with dry leaves or other organic matters to retain the moisture of the ground. Once mulching is done, the water on the topsoil evaporates slowly, thus helping to maintain moisture.
- Fertilizer: Peonies do not need any fertilizer as such. At the time of planting, you should mix the soil with a little manure and compost. This is enough for the plant to grow. But if the soil is of low quality, then you can apply fertilizers like a bone meal during early summer.
- Structural support: The stems of peonies are not strong enough to withstand the weight of the peony flower. Thus, you can provide support with metal rings and wire tomato cages so that the plant can grow straight.
- Flower and leaf care: The flowers should be trimmed once it becomes dry. Similarly, the foliage should also be cut to the ground to protect it from winter diseases. If you suspect fungal or any illness for your plant, then you should not plant fresh peonies in the same area, lest it also gets infected.
You might notice ants on the surface of the peonies. Do not get rid of them as these ants help to protect the flower from bugs and insects.
If you are using cut flowers for peony bouquet, then you can store the flowers in the refrigerator with a damp towel wrapped around it. Once you take the flower out of the refrigerator, you can cut the stem and dip it in lukewarm water to pep them up.
If you are wondering where to buy peonies in Dubai, we have the answer. Visit your nearest flower shop, Dubai, or go to 800flower.ae to get the best quality peonies from around the world.